Re: Autoload from a web page?

From: Phil Hagelberg
Subject: Re: Autoload from a web page?
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 16:40:52 -0800

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> The package manager should support multiple package repositories.
> [...]
>> 3. The FSF repository
>
>> This would contain only packages that are of could quality and
>> generally useful AND for which copyright assignments have been
>> filled out.
>
> For political reasons, we only want to support repositories where
> the copyright is owned by the FSF.  We also may want to support or
> notion of package quality, tho.  Also I find it important that multiple
> versions of a package can coexist at the same time (within reasonable
> feasability constraints: we don't need to handle multiple versions in
> a single Emacs sessions).

I am fine (but not thrilled) with Emacs only including an FSF-owned
repository or repositories out of the box. But I'd like to make sure
that this *doesn't* mean making it difficult for the user to add
third-party repositories for other software they may be interested
in. I'm sure this kind of antifeature wouldn't make it in to Emacs
anyway; I just thought it would be good to make that clear.

-Phil