Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Workflow to accumulate individual changes?
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 14:17:51 +0100

On  Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 03:28, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:

> OTOH, some people emulate colocated branches with `bzr switch'.

It works like a charm.

> Note that, within a shared repository, you can organize your branches as
> you wish, so it is advisable to make a directory `delayed-changes' and
> create your mini-feature branches there.

The fact that the branch for "bzr switch BRANCH" can be relative to
the parent dir makes this even easier.

It'd be worth documenting this somewhere to give it this higher
visibility, IMO, than a single paragraph in bzr help checkouts:

    Another possible use for a checkout is to use it with a treeless repository
    containing your branches, where you maintain only one working tree by
    switching the master branch that the checkout points to when you want to
    work on a different branch.

BTW, what's the use of "branch --switch"? Something like this:

  # trunk/     (main mirror)
  # my-playground/     ("working" checkout)
  # delayed-changes/branch1, branch2, etc.     (treeless branches)

  # from my-playground
  bzr branch --no-tree --switch ../trunk ../delayed-changes/branchN

so you create a new branch and switch to it in a single op? Sweet,
worth of an alias.

    Juanma