Re: Autoload from a web page?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Autoload from a web page?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 10:45:34 -0500

    In this scenario the user wants to download a package, but he may not
    want all of it at once. It is just like autoloading locally, but with
    the difference that the files are loaded from the web (in a well
    defined manner).

This difference is precisely the problem.
Autoloading from files on disk gives you the chance
to edit those files.
Autoloading from a server means you can't do so.

    Yes, I understand that and I read about the problem with javascript.
    The same problems can not arise here since the user will be in control
    of where to download files from. Unlike the situation with javascript
    a single site (or a list of well defined sites) will be where the
    download comes from.

I see your argument, that it is the user who decides to load from
those files.  But I'm not convinced this makes it ok, because it would
be easy for programs to do this without the user's knowing about it.
If we want to be safe, we need to tell users to watch out for this
as a danger sign.