Re: compilation-ask-about-kill

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: compilation-ask-about-kill
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 19:10:53 +0100

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> A related thing I've found a bit silly is that the yes-or-no-p insists
> on you answering yes or no to "kill compile?" if the compile finishes
> while you're thinking about the question.
>
> For example if the compile is in a visible window you may wait at that
> question while it finishes.  It'd be cute if you could just press Ret
> in that case.  I had in mind a yes-or-no-p variant with a condition
> function or something to say when the question is no longer relevant,
> so that no input, or any input, or whatnot, is acceptable.

The question is relevant.  If you answer "yes", the new compile will
proceed.  If you answer "no", the new compile will be aborted.

So if you started the new compile command too early, you have to answer
"yes" to the "kill compile?" question in order not to kill your new
compile.

AUCTeX has had similar behavior.  But nowadays it discards the answer
(while still waiting for it) and proceeds anyway in case that the
question became irrelevant by the process finishing.

--
David Kastrup