Re: git archive no longer being updated?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: git archive no longer being updated?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:22:53 -0500

On Jan 7, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Jan 1, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>>> You can follow the mirror at repo.or.cz, but it is only updated
>>> manually.
>>
>> I've been trying it out and I'm having some issues with this wrt. my
>> downstream branches, which have been based on the official mirror on
>> Savannah until Dec 27.
>
> Just rebase your changes on top of the new tree.

Not that simple, because there have been many changes interspersed with
(conflict-laden) merges from upstream, plus I have a number of topic branches.

What I have done now is to extract alignment information from the old and new
git branches for the year 2009, and I have a script that produces "grafts" to
map all my merges to the new upstream branch to pretend that that's how they
happened.

I can, later, rewrite everything to reflect the new state of affairs.

I've described the method here in case anyone can make use of it:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/136377/focus=136387