Re: Unable to close a bug in the tracker.

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Unable to close a bug in the tracker.
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:41:34 -0500

Karl Fogel wrote:

> I never have to read the documentation for other bug trackers I use,
> because it's obvious how to use them.  If that doesn't seem like a major
> win to you, I'm not sure what else to say... :-).

I think it may be a cultural difference. Emacs bugs have always been
reported and discussed by email. All the tracker really does is hook
that up to a database so that things don't get forgotten about.

All the submitter has to do is use M-x report-emacs-bug. This
initiates an email exchange with the developers. The submitter doesn't
need to know any of the details about the tracker. Only the developers
are really expected to close and tag things (though if others want to,
that's fine). It does require a bit of an investment to figure out how
it works.

I think developers are expected to subscribe to bug-gnu-emacs and keep
an eye out for bugs that are relevant to them.

Browsing bugs on the web and clicking on them to add comments isn't
really what it was designed for.

I'm certainly not debbugs #1 fan, but now that we've finally been able
to tweak it a bit, I'm fairly happy with it.