Re: Handling invisible text in bidirectional display

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Handling invisible text in bidirectional display
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:05:03 -0500

Your description of the interaction of invisible with bidi seems right
to me, but I was surprised by your response to this

    > I think a reasonable model is to display the text as if the invisible
    > characters are not there.

    I think the resulting change of the visual order will surprise the
    users.  It also complicates implementation, which for me is an
    important downside.

because I don't see a differnce between "display the text as if the
invisible characters are not there" and what you described (in the
no-ellipsis case).  What you described

    One consequence is that a run of invisible characters can now be split
    into several non-contiguous runs.  For example, this text:

      abcABCxyz

    with c and A covered by an invisible property will be displayed as

      abCBxyz

seems to agree entirely with that description.  Is there something I
have misunderstood?

However, the invisible characters do have some effect when they
generate an ellipsis.  In that case, multiple ellipses as you've
described seems right.