problem with multiple frames in a terminal

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: problem with multiple frames in a terminal
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:41:39 +0100

Hi. I've been suffering this problem for a long time now, in all emacs
23.x versions:

- i run emacs -daemon
- open a client on a terminal (emacsclient -t)
- create a new frame (C-x 5 2)
- give the frame a name (using set-frame-name)
- switch to the original frame (C-x 5 o)
- open a new terminal and client (emacsclient -t)

In the last step, the frame showed in the *first* terminal switches to
the named one. If i have various frames in that terminal, in general
moving around buffers in the second terminal causes the first client to
switch to different frames by its own in different patterns. For
instance, say i have frames A, B and C in terminal one and the first one
is displayed: when i open the second emacsclient, the frame in the first
one switches to C; if i then close the second client, the first terminal
switches to B. The switching seems to *not* happen if none of the frames
has been given a name (so my guess is that using set-frame-name (which i
do programmatically) is part, if not the root, of the problem).

Any hint on where to look for the cause of this spontaneous frame
switching?

(This is on a debian system, and happens with any emacs 23, and both
xterm and urxvt, and with xmonad and sawfish)

Thanks!
jao
--
We live on an island surrounded by a sea of ignorance. As our island
of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance. - John Wheeler