Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:38:19 +0100

>     The point is that "ecosystem" describes only one aspect of the
>     phenomenon of software development.  That aspect is not very
>     self-conscious and therefore amoral.  Nevertheless, it is powerful and
>     we should include it in our reckoning when we consider what kinds of
>     actions will advance our moral goals.
>
> We already do take account of others' tendencies (whatever their
> basis) when they are relevant to our decisions.
>
> However, using the term "ecosystem" to refer to them would shift the
> way WE frame the issues, from a moral/political one to an amoral
> nonjudgmental one.  That is what we should not do.

I don't see that.  The main point of freedom is that it benefits
everyone, including those who don't fight for it.

Do we really want to spread the impression that we don't want to have
anybody benefit from free software that does not agree with our own
values and moral stances?

The GPL creates a pool of free software shielded from proprietarization
of essential freedoms.  Do we really want to spread the idea that it is
immoral to prefer using free software unless you share our morals, and
that you should rather go elsewhere than benefit from it?

Freedom is not just for fighters.

--
David Kastrup