Re: patch for emacsclient to support GNU_NODE

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: patch for emacsclient to support GNU_NODE
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:57:49 -0800 (PST)

> Yes, precisely.  So for example, a file that is called /tmp/foobar by
> the emacsclient process might be reachable using NFS as
> /net/myhost/tmp/foobar on the host where emacs is running.  You would
> set GNU_NODE to /net/myhost in this case.

In my experience it's more common for individual directories to be
exported, and then (often) mounted at a mount point that doesn't contain
the name of the exported directory as a suffix.  Your code could handle
just /home being exported and mounted as /net/fileserver/home, but
wouldn't help if it were mounted as /nethome/fileserver.

Why not (perhaps in addition to the GNU_NODE support, which I understand
is for compatibility) allow some setting (be it an environment variable or
otherwise) that contains pairs of directory names, so that you could set

EMACSCLIENT_REMAP=/home:/nethome/fileserver:/var/tmp:/scratch

and support arbitrary mappings?

Davis

shipping.