Re: delete-selection-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:36:44 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
>> It is valid, but an O(1) type of argument.  It will not outweigh O(n)
>> arguments even with a small factor eventually.  If something costs time
>> repeatedly, saving startup time is not worth the trouble when we are
>> catering about being efficient on a continuing base.
>
> Saving startup time is one of the most important qualities a product
> can have.

"appealing", not "important".

> Since years ago, young users need a strong motivation for switching to
> Emacs as it is no longer an editor that provides obvious benefits over
> competing products.
>
> People will start using Emacs thanks to the availability of modes for
> almost all languages, or thanks to features like org-mode.

At one point of time you will have to decide either arguing that Emacs
provides obvious benefits over competing products, or not.

When your argument requires _both_ premises, it is worthless.

> Really, Emacs need to lower the entry barrier as much as possible if
> we want to attract new users.

That goal takes a second place to providing the best editor to long-term
users.  Keeping old users is more important than attracting new ones.
Since new ones eventually become old ones anyway.

--
David Kastrup