RE: delete-selection-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:43:32 -0700

> >> With transient-mark-mode, it will be active by default,
> >> even when you just wanted to manipulate the mark.
> >
> > C-u C-SPC instead of C-SPC. Or just turn off t-m-mode.
>
> If you can't remember, a newbie would?

a. Your citation is off. Presumably, you meant to quote Stefan correcting my
mention of C-u C-SPC instead of C-SPC C-SPC. Ever type one thing and think
another? Mea culpa - I did.

b. I don't actually use C-SPC C-SPC. I don't use the "temporary
transient-mark-mode" (or its opposite). Ever. But you might want to.

I use `delete-selection-mode' - that's it. If I ever need to deactivate the
region, I use C-g. I've used d-s-mode for decades - long before any temporary
t-m-mode existed. And I've never missed such a feature. To me, it's a solution
looking for a problem.

c. I don't particularly expect a newbie (or anyone else) to remember C-SPC C-SPC
- and I don't really care whether s?he does.

I would like to give newbies the selection behavior they expect by default:
d-s-mode. That's all.

And no, that doesn't involve temporary t-m-mode. They don't use such a thing
outside Emacs, and they won't use it - at least at the beginning - inside Emacs.
And maybe, like me, they will never feel a need to use it.