RE: AW: delete-selection-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: AW: delete-selection-mode
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:46:25 -0700

> >> C-g *is* a problem.  Not just because of the bell, but
> >> also because of
> >> the slight time delay (caused by the bell); because it flushes the
> >> key buffer; because it interrupts a macro-recoding, ...
> >> It's not the end of the world, but it's not a very
> >> satisfactory answer.
> >
> > Then let's find another key to (only) deactivate.
>
>   ESC ESC ESC runs the command keyboard-escape-quit,
>   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.
>
>   It is bound to M-ESC ESC.
>
>   (keyboard-escape-quit)
>
>   Exit the current "mode" (in a generalized sense of the word).
>   This command can exit an interactive command such as
> `query-replace',
>   can clear out a prefix argument or a region,
>   can get out of the minibuffer or other recursive edit,
>   cancel the use of the current buffer (for special-purpose buffers),
>   or go back to just one window (by deleting all but the
> selected window).

Interesting, but I think we need a key that doesn't have any meaning in the
context where a region might be active. Maybe that means we need a key that
isn't yet bound; dunno.

Imagine that you want to use the key for one of the uses described above (e.g.
clear the region or exit the minibuffer or a recursive edit). If the region is
active in the current buffer (e.g. the minibuffer in the latter cases), then
would you be doing ESC ESC ESC ESC ESC ESC? And what if you wanted one of those
behaviors but did not also want to deactivate the region?

Too complicated, IMO. But worth thinking about.