RE: Next pretest

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Next pretest
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:59:38 -0700

> I would like to make the next pretest release (23.1.95) this coming
> Friday, the 2nd of April.  Let me know if there are no objections, or
> any problems that you'd like to see addressed.

How about a Windows binary?

You published 23.1.93 without a binary, giving this as excuse:

> The latest pretest has a couple of serious bugs on Windows,
> so IMO there is little point making the binary for it.

But you reassured us that you would publish again soon, with those Windows bugs
fixed:

> > Fair enough. Is there a point in publishing a new release
> > without testing on Windows, in particular, testing the fixes
> > for those serious bugs?
> >
> > Or did you plan to publish another pretest with the bugs fixed?
> > That would be good (normal). That wasn't clear from your mails.
>
> There should be at least two more pretests before the 23.2 release.

However, you published 23.1.94 without a Windows binary (giving no reason). You
said this on 3/12, but nothing came of it:

> Lennart is having technical problems with the box he compiles
> on. If he fixes those, I will upload his binaries to alpha.gnu.org.

How many Windows users tested that 94 pretest, which supposedly fixed serious
Windows bugs introduced by pretest 93? Gettin any pretest feedback at all from
Windows users, besides build reports?

There was no 23.1.92 binary either. The last published Windows binary was for
23.1.91, 2010/01/03.

You have lamented the fact that no one has volunteered to build Windows
binaries, but the same day (3/12), Sean Sieger volunteered:

> I've been building and using the previous pretest as well as
> bzr builds daily for two weeks and everything seems to be
> going well. If it's okay with you, I would like to volunteer
> to compile the Windows binaries and get them (pretests,
> releases and say weekly bzr builds) uploaded to alph.gnu.org
> and ftp.gnu.org.
>
> In those two weeks I've been careful to read Jason's
> Maintainers of GNU Software_ Section 9, `Distributions'.
>
> There's a couple of questions that I have for Jason before
> I do, but I would like to volunteer to compile the binaries
> for Windows and keep the windows directories current with them.

Whatever became of that? Wasn't it "okay with you" that Sean build and post
binaries?