Re: Obsoleting end-user-functions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Obsoleting end-user-functions
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 09:48:01 -0400

>> [C]urrently we don't have any good way to obsolete end-user-functions,
>> since the obsolescence-info is only used by the byte-compiler
> Two easy, non-invasive ideas:
> (1) Have help functions such as describe-function present the o-info
>     (and maybe apropos could have a very abbreviated notation)

Done since Emacs-22.  But in my experience most users won't use C-h f on
a function they already use in their .emacs: that code will just sit
there to rot until it breaks.

> (2) Provide a help-obsolete (maybe apropos-obsolete is a better name?)
>     function which lists all symbols with o-info in apropos style.

Even less likely to be used.

>> which the end-user is likely to never run on his .emacs).
> A harder, invasive idea: get rid of explicit byte-compilation, by
> default.  If Emacs always byte-compiles out-of-date libraries at load
> time, the warnings would be generated.

Yes, that's one of the two possible directions I see:
- output a warning when the obsolete function is called.
  [ I use that in my locally patched Emacs, but people would scream
    when their obsolete function gets called in a loop and they get
    an apparently endless stream of repeated warnings. ]
- apply at least the analysis&warnings part of the byte-compiler to the
  .emacs when loading it.

        Stefan

PS: The problem with auto-byte-compiling is that I don't want to waste
my time arguing about the old issue of "prefer an old .elc to a new .el".