RE: Emacs's handling of line numbers [from bug#5042]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs's handling of line numbers [from bug#5042]
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:41:32 -0700

Juri> user commands (with the prefix map `C-x n') should not
Juri> widen or narrow the Info buffer outside of the current
Juri> Info node. Only some low-level functions should be
Juri> allowed to do this.

> > That's going too far, IMO. As Eli will perhaps point out
> > (see bug #5839), there are reasons that some users will want
> > to widen Info buffers.
>
> What I proposed is not removing that possibility,

My post replied not to your proposal but to Juri's statement (which you clipped,
but I've put back, for context). And Juri did propose removing that possibility.
He said that users should not be able to use a command to widen or narrow the
buffer outside of the current node.

In the bug #5839 thread, Eli argues that users should be able to do that, and I
agree.

> > More generally, we should not remove `widen' as a command,
> > even if in only some contexts. Likewise, `narrow'. What we
> > should do is provide more user control (not less), possibly
> > by creating a `widen-one-level' command as I suggested
> > earlier.
>
> No one has been proposing less user control.

IMO Juri did, by saying that user narrowing and widening commands should not go
beyond the current Info node.