Re: Compositions and bidi display

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Compositions and bidi display
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:07:41 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 15:06:11 +0900

After re-reading the code of composition_compute_stop_pos, I have a
few more questions about what you wrote.

> Note that composition_compute_stop_pos just finds a stop
> position to check, and the actual checking and composing is
> done by composition_reseat_it which is called by
> CHAR_COMPOSED_P.

But it looks like composition_compute_stop_pos does use at least some
validation for the candidate stop position.  AFAIU, this fragment
finds and validates a static composition:

  if (find_composition (charpos, endpos, &start, &end, &prop, string)
      && COMPOSITION_VALID_P (start, end, prop))
    {
      cmp_it->stop_pos = endpos = start;
      cmp_it->ch = -1;
    }

So it looks like COMPOSITION_VALID_P is the proper way of validating a
position that is a candidate for a static composition.  Is that true?
If it is true, then the end point of the static composition is given
by the `end' argument to find_composition, and all we need is record
it in cmp_it.  If not true, what _does_ COMPOSITION_VALID_P validate?

And the loop after that, conditioned on auto-composition-mode, seems
to do a similar job for automatic compositions.  Omitting some
secondary details, that loop does this:

  while (charpos < endpos)
    {
      [advance to the next character]
      val = CHAR_TABLE_REF (Vcomposition_function_table, c);
      if (! NILP (val))
        {
          Lisp_Object elt;

          for (; CONSP (val); val = XCDR (val))
            {
              elt = XCAR (val);
              if (VECTORP (elt) && ASIZE (elt) == 3 && NATNUMP (AREF (elt, 1))
                  && charpos - 1 - XFASTINT (AREF (elt, 1)) >= start)
                break;
            }
          if (CONSP (val))
            {
              cmp_it->lookback = XFASTINT (AREF (elt, 1));
              cmp_it->stop_pos = charpos - 1 - cmp_it->lookback;
              cmp_it->ch = c;
              return;
            }
        }
    }

This looks as if a position that is a candidate for starting a
composition sequence should have a non-nil entry in
composition-function-table for the character at that position, and
that entry should specify the (relative) character position where the
sequence might start.  Is my understanding correct?

> To move from one composition position to the next, we must actually
> call autocmp_chars and find where the current composition ends, then
> start searching for the next composition.

It is true that the code looking for stop position that might begin an
automatic composition does not compute the end of the sequence.  That
end is computed by autocmp_chars.  But what does this mean in
practice?  Suppose we have found a candidate stop_pos, marked by S
below:

     abcdeSuvwxyz

First, a composition sequence cannot be shorter than 2 characters,
right?  So the next stop_pos cannot be before v.  Now suppose that the
actual composition sequence is "Suvw", and we issue the next call to
composition_compute_stop_pos at v -- are you saying that it will
suggest that v is also a possible stop_pos, even though it is in the
middle of a composition sequence?  If not, then repeated calls to
composition_compute_stop_pos in the bidi case, without calling
composition_reseat_it in between, will just be slightly
more expensive because they will need to examine more positions.  Is
this analysis correct?

> But composition_reseat_it also needs ENDPOS

We can use IT_CHARPOS + MAX_COMPOSITION_COMPONENTS as ENDPOS, if we
call composition_reseat_it and composition_compute_stop_pos in the
forward direction repeatedly, can't we?  That's because, when the
iterator is some position, we are only interested in compositions that
cover that position.

> We don't have to re-calculate ENDPOS each time.  It must be
> updated only when we pass over bidi boundary.

Btw, can we always assume that all the characters of a composition
sequence are at the same embedding level?  I guess IOW I'm asking what
Emacs features are currently implemented based on compositions?
Obviously, all the characters in a sequence that produces a single
grapheme must have the same level, but what about compositions that
produce several grapheme clusters -- can each of the clusters have
different bidirectional properties?