Re: Add function to make frame topmost?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Add function to make frame topmost?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 03:10:03 +0100

Lennart Borgman wrote:

> How does "Urgency" work? Is that appropriate for reminders? I would
> prefer that to be a frame that pops up but does not get focus until
> the user choosen it.

A reminder sounds more like a notification than an urgent window.   But
n.b. the window type might still be the wrong level, I'm now vaguely
wondering if you might be wanting system tray balloon notifications for which there are typically high-level apis.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/systemtray-spec/systemtray-spec-0.1.html#balloon

(note that gtk then has its implementation/wrapper for systray support, GtkStatusIcon, i.e. an even higher level might be appropriate for toolkit-using emacs)

Ading systray support to emacs was discussed in the context
of daemon mode a while back, maybe it's worth another look now.