Re: Add function to make frame topmost?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Add function to make frame topmost?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 04:19:43 +0100

Lennart Borgman wrote:

The problem is that it is not powerful enough for things like menus of
the type used by for company-mode or completion-ui (see EmacsWiki).

I'm not too familiar with either. I think the tooltip type window hint is indeed also used or abused for completion panel display by some non-emacs X11 apps (so says xprop). I don't now want to give too much weight to it - what emacs puts in and does with an X11 window that it tells the window manager is a tooltip is still pretty much up to emacs (of course currently emacs might currently only be allowing display of a string...)

> What about having a
function make-tooltip-type-frame?

Hmm. It _might_ make sense to allow it as an elisp-exposed emacs frame parameter. e.g. for argument's sake

(make-frame '((disposition . tooltip))
(make-frame '((disposition . utility)))
etc.

Not sure "disposition" is the right word...

It would probably then also prove necessary to be able to specify override-redirect and wm-transient-for at the lisp level as frame parameters (though maybe the former could be implied - you're hardly not going turn on override-redirect if you're making a tooltip) - the lisp-level wm-transient-for (or "master-frame") frame parameter could probably be limited to other emacs frames.

OTOH, that all might be getting a bit lowlevel to expose so directly at the elisp level: The precedent from tooltips and popup menus is that there are special-purpose apis for them at the elisp level, maybe
there's an argument for some sort of  single-purpose
(inline-completion-panel-show <mumble>)
and (notification-show <mumble>)
functions by analogy with
(tooltip-show "blah") and (popup-menu 'blah).

such an approach has the advantage it might be coaxed into doing something vaguely useful on text terminals.

OTOTOH, maybe the extra frame parameters might become a lower level implementation detail of such an api.