Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r100117: Run kill-emacs when exit

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r100117: Run kill-emacs when exiting for display closed or SIGTERM/HUP.
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 22:53:00 +0200

2 maj 2010 kl. 21.24 skrev Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:

 Run kill-emacs when exiting for display closed or SIGTERM/HUP.
 * xsmfns.c (CHDIR_OPT): New define.
 (smc_save_yourself_CB): Add CHDIR_OPT to options to use when
 restarting emacs.

Not sure what's the relationship between the kill-emacs part and the
chdir part.  But I'm really wondering what this chdir thingy is
good for.  I mean: the current directory of Emacs is something rather
vague: Emacs has as many current directories as it has buffers, do does
it just refer to the default-directory of *scratch* and *Messages*?
If so, why/when is that so important as to justify a startup option?

In some older Gnome versions, you could save current ditectory in the session manager and Emacs would then restart in that directory.

But now you can't so Emacs is restarted in a different directory. If you are saving different desktops in different directories, restarting Emacs is kind of pointless unless you are in the right directory.

So making sure the desktop is saved wont solve the bug unless it is also read back properly.

        Jan D.