Re: checkdoc-batch.el v.3

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: checkdoc-batch.el v.3
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 21:38:59 -0400

Hi,

I missed the first post, and perhaps I have misinterpreted what the original post was.

On 05/12/2010 11:10 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
This spot of code runs M-x checkdoc in "batch" style, giving a report of
problems instead of going through interactively fixing them.

This sounds desirable.

If you pass a prefix argument to checkdoc-current-buffer, and a couple other functions, it logs all the messages to a buffer.

If you are instead discussing the doc strings in the C code, here is some code I posted a long time ago:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2001-11/msg00760.html

The implementation is diabolical,

That sounds less so.

I generally like checkdoc, but it's too much in-your-face for my taste.

I have found that once code is clean, checkdoc doesn't complain. If it does I fix the code and it stops complaining. If you work constantly in non-compliant code, this would indeed be a pain.

Checkdoc follows a model similar to unit tests for your C code. If a test fails, the build fails, and you have to fix it or you can play with your change.

Of course, you can always set the checkdoc-autofix-flag to 'never, which won't ask you questions. I don't really remember what it would do.

If you're interested, it would be wonderful if you could change it so it
doesn't signal errors all the time, but just messages/warnings instead.

The intention would be:
- make it possible/bearable to enable checkdoc-mode unconditionally
   (so M-C-x will always check your docstrings, whether you want it or
   not, which clearly requires reducing substantially the
   in-your-faceness factor).

See above.

- solve the problem you mention that rejecting one suggestion can make
   you miss subsequent ones.

Using the log mode I mentioned above solves this.

Eric