Re: Emacs 23, so slow to refresh on Windows

From: bogossian
Subject: Re: Emacs 23, so slow to refresh on Windows
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 19:52:44 -0400

Emacs is not optimized for ultra-long lines. Do you find it also slow
editing more normal-looking files?

No, I've done more testing and so far I haven't noticed any slowdown with
normal files (ie. files without long lines).
So, I think we can assume the performance issue is specific to files with
long lines.

Could you try

 emacs -q -xrm Emacs.FontBackend:gdi

and see whether it makes a difference?

Yes, it brings an improvement with the default font:

Emacs 21.3.1:              8s
Emacs 22.3.1:             14s
Emacs 23.2.1 (uniscribe): 63s
Emacs 23.2.1 (gdi):       38s

With the 6x13 font, it doesn't make a difference (6x13 being a bitmap
font, I suppose it's always rendered using the gdi backend).

If you find it unbearably slow I'd suggest filing a bug in the Emacs
bug tracker, giving as much relevant information as possible (for
example, fonts used, etc.).

I might do that indeed.
Though I can understand that Emacs is not optimized for very long lines,
it's supposed to be a versatile tool, so it should at least perform
decently with any kind of files and fonts. And I'm probably not the only
one who has to deal with computer generated files (dumps, logs, export
files, ...) containing very long lines.

Thank you for your reply Juanma,

Pierre