Re: Frame ordering

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Frame ordering
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 18:24:47 +0900

> On Jun 13, 2010, at 11:52 PM, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:
>>
>> It changes the behavior of repeated "C-x 5 o" to alternating two
>> frames rather than circulating all visible frames.

> Yes.  The original complaint from several users was that frame
> cycling does not work as expected - at least `previous-frame' should
> move to the previously selected frame.  Of course that implies what
> you are saying (if `next-frame' does the opposite of
> `previous-frame').

> A nice solution to the issue is shown in the OS X "application
> switching" mechanism (Command-Tab).  If Command is held, we keep
> switching along the list, without entering a cycle.  If Command is
> released (as in Command-Tab, Command-Tab), we switch back to the
> previously selected frame.

As far as I tested with TextEdit.app on Mac OS X 10.6,

  Command-` Command-` Command-` ...

causes circulation and

  Command-` (mouse click) Command-` (mouse click) Command-` ...

causes alternation.  (BTW, this is bound to Command-F1 in the default
setting for Japanese language environment, maybe because "`" is not
located at the upper-left corner in the Japanese keyboard.)

That would be the behavior of "letting the window manager decide",
i.e., no explicit code at the application side.  The Mac port also
behaves like this.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden