Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 21:13:26 +0200

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 11:51, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Would people who customize these variables (and those who use
> scroll-*-aggressively) please see if the new behavior is to their
> liking?

It works for me, but that's not very informative because it was working before.

> Interestingly, this change introduced an asymmetry between scrolling
> down and up: there's no such limitation in the latter case.

IIRC, for some reason scrolling up didn't cause recentering.

> The archives of emacs-devel do not reveal any details beyond the fact
> that this was done to prevent some jumpy scrolling.  Perhaps Yidong
> can shed more light on why this was done back then.

What do you mean? That is the reason for the change: scrolling was
much slower and jumpier than before (this was soon after the unicode2
merge and the new font backend was still quite slow).

    Juanma