Re: save-excursion again

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: save-excursion again
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 12:03:38 +0100

On 6/25/2010 10:20 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Which brings up a question for Stefan.  Are you saying that the
condition-case-save-point-and-mark aspect of `save-excursion' should
be abstracted out (say as `save-region') and separated from the
save-buffer aspect?

Not sure what you mean.  If you mean we should introduce
a save-excursion-but-not-buffer, then I think it's a bad idea, because
such a thing would still have to save a marker (so there's no
improvement in terms of the amount of data saved) and the semantics of
"restore point in another buffer" is murky in Emacs.

I think the point is that save-excursion has been saving too much. So, when we see a save-excursion in a piece of code, we are not sure whether it was meant to save the point and mark, or the current-buffer, or both. It seems that the original developers were themselves unsure after a while.

I took Stephen's point as saying that, if we have separate save-current-buffer and save-region, with save-excursion strongly discouraged, we would promote a clearer programming style.

Cheers,
Uday