Re: [vc-git] Showing ‘.git/*’ files in vc-dir

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: [vc-git] Showing ‘.git/*’ files in vc-dir
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:54:37 -0400

Eric James Michael Ritz <address@hidden> writes:

> On 06/29/2010 03:54 PM, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>> Eric James Michael Ritz <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> When I `vc-dir` for a directory that is under version control with
>>> Git, I see that files under the `.git` directory are displayed, often
>>> as being untracked.  [...]
>>>
>>> I was curious about anyone else’s thoughts on this.  If this sounds
>>
>> Can you please provide a recipe to reproduce this?  Please start with emacs
>> -Q.
>
> Unfortunately no.  I created a new repository and then edited some
> files using emacs -Q, and from there I could not cause vc-dir to
> display any of the .git/* files.  I have to admit I am not one-hundred
> percent sure what causes it, and it is not consistent either.  I do
> sometimes run git-commit from the command-line during work instead of
> using `C-x v v`, so perhaps that is related?

Yep, I think that's it.
You probably have EDITOR set to emacsclient.
So git-commit will use the same emacs instance that's running vc-dir.
It looks like git puts the COMMIT_MESSAGE in .git and vc-dir shows it.

What probably happens is that (vc-git-state ".git/COMMIT_MESSAGE") returns
'unregistered.

Not sure what the best solution is: make vc-git-state return
nil, or make vc-dir ignore files in .git, or something else ...