Re: [vc-git] Showing ‘.git/*’ files in vc -dir

From: Eric James Michael Ritz
Subject: Re: [vc-git] Showing ‘.git/*’ files in vc -dir
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:16:45 -0400

On 06/29/2010 04:54 PM, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Eric James Michael Ritz <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Can you please provide a recipe to reproduce this?  Please start with emacs
>>> -Q.
>>
>> Unfortunately no.  I created a new repository and then edited some
>> files using emacs -Q, and from there I could not cause vc-dir to
>> display any of the .git/* files.  I have to admit I am not one-hundred
>> percent sure what causes it, and it is not consistent either.  I do
>> sometimes run git-commit from the command-line during work instead of
>> using `C-x v v`, so perhaps that is related?
>
> Yep, I think that's it.
> You probably have EDITOR set to emacsclient.

You are correct, I do.

> So git-commit will use the same emacs instance that's running vc-dir.
> It looks like git puts the COMMIT_MESSAGE in .git and vc-dir shows it.
>
> What probably happens is that (vc-git-state ".git/COMMIT_MESSAGE") returns
> 'unregistered.
>
> Not sure what the best solution is: make vc-git-state return
> nil, or make vc-dir ignore files in .git, or something else ...

I am not sure either.  My idea was to make vc-dir ignore the files
in .git.  It does not seem like there would be any negative
ramifications from that, but that’s going on my assumption that no one
would ever want to perform operations on those files from vc-dir.

- --
Eric James Michael Ritz
Cyber Sprocket Labs
(843) 225-3830