Re: Emacs and Gnome Canvas

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs and Gnome Canvas
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 23:51:23 +0200

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema <address@hidden> writes:

> Note, gnome-canvas is being deprecated;
>    http://live.gnome.org/ProjectRidley/CanvasOverview
> has an overview of various alternatives.
>
> As far as I know them, all these canvases are primarily designed for
> graphics, with object, group/ungroup etc. It remains to be seen how
> well they would work for large amounts of text, with maybe here and
> there an image. Performance might be an issue.

IIRC there are some cases of text editors implemented on top of a
canvas. IIRC Tk's text widget, which is the basis for several text
editors, is one of them. I've not observed performance issues when used
those editors, although Emacs' requirements can be more demanding.

> Maybe something working on top of Cairo (as has been suggested) would
> work better.

The problem with Cairo is that AFAIK it doesn't provide any kind of user
interaction features and adding them is far from trivial. Maybe Gecko
provides the necessary for web forms and clickable areas, but that is
not enough. Qt's Graphics Framework seems more appealing as an starting
point.

[snip]