Re: rename and clean unexec.c

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: rename and clean unexec.c
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:46:12 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 00:38:11 -0400
>>

>> unexec.c is only used by MSDOS now.
>> It should be renamed unexecdos.c (or something like that) similar to all the
>> other unexec files.
>
> I don't see a need to rename it.  Renaming complicates VC forensics,
> even though bzr supports renames.  This isn't the only DOS-specific
> file in Emacs that doesn't have "dos" as part of its name.

By that argument we should never rename anything.
Missing renaming support was one of the main reasons that CVS was abandoned.
This file has a generic name, that's the most of obvious for someone
looking for unexec, but that file is almost always the wrong place to
look.

> If there's a need for a profound sign that unexec.c is used only by
> the DOS build, we could add a COMMENT ALL IN CAPS at its beginning.
>
>> Also it needs a bit of a cleanup given that it's only used on MSDOS.
>
> That's fine with me.
>
>> In fact almost all #ifdefs in unexec.c can be removed.
>
> Probably strictly all.  The only one I'm not sure about is
> "#ifdef emacs" -- is some other package using this file, or do we
> sometimes compile in Emacs without "emacs" being defined?
>
> Anyway, I'll add to my todo to remove the ifdef's, but feel free to
> beat me to it, as I have much more important jobs on my plate.

I'll remove the ones that were once machine/system properties, so that
they can completely disappear from the tree.  I can't do it all, I
don't know enough about what msdos wants there.