Re: Locks on the Bzr repository

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Locks on the Bzr repository
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 04:10:42 +0900

Uday S Reddy writes:

 > Pull works before you commit.  It is the same as update, just a
 > difference in terminology.

Unfortunately, that's apparently not so.  Not only is there a gross
difference (update will do a merge of incommitted work in the
workspace with the new changes from upstream, pull never merges), but
there are subtle differences: pull involves communication between
branches, and updates the workspace as a side effect, while update
involves communication between a branch and a workspace (and as a side
effect, updates the branch from its master if bound).

 > Ok, for the record, I don't mean you by saying "you".  I mean the
 > emacs-developer team in general.  It seems to me that the closeness
 > to the previous workflow using CVS was perhaps the overriding
 > criterion for the authors of the recommended workflow.  The
 > technical merits and demerits were probably not at the top of the
 > scale.

Simplicity was important.  The option of suggesting a full-bore
distributed workflow was discarded early.  However, the suggested
workflow obviously is quite different from CVS.  A CVS-like workflow
is easy to achieve simply by using a lightweight checkout.