Re: autoload cookies for defcustoms

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: autoload cookies for defcustoms
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:20:04 -0400

Wojciech Meyer wrote:

> toplevel code evaluated). It is up to maintainers what to do with the
> patch, it just shows `defcustoms' with `autoload'. I might refine it if
> somebody comes up with rules to follow.

You can't really come up with a rule. The problem is often historical.
People get used to using these variables in their .emacs without
.emacs. And there's no compatible way to get from here to there (eg
you cannot mark an autoload obsolete, not that anyone would notice
anyway).

Some examples of such problems are

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg00956.html