Re: Structural regular expressions

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Structural regular expressions
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 18:44:33 +0200

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Tom <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Tom <levelhalom <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > So if such "multiple narrowing" is implemented it must maintain the
> boundaries
>> > between the different ranges and shouldn't simply handle it as
> contiguous text.
>>
>> Or handle the text outside the multiple narrowing as whitespace.
>>

> And what happens then if I want to regexp replace "foo\s-*bar"? It would
> still be susceptible to the above mentioned boundary problem, so it's
> not a robust workaround.

It does not look to me like it would be susceptible to that problem.
Maybe I am misunderstanding you. Can you explain more in detail why
you think it would be a problem with the solution I suggested? (Please
note that I said the parts outside of the multiple narrowing should be
treated as "whitespace", not "invisible" or "non-existent".)