rfc2047-decode-string in C?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: rfc2047-decode-string in C?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:49:34 +0200

> Actually, I think Emacs could do with moving more things down into the C
> layer.

Speaking of which -- I've been elp-ing Gnus group entry a bit, and Gnus
spends quite a but of time doing rfc2047 decoding.  If I read the
results correctly, that's a quite significant portion of the time.

rfc2047-encoding looks like this:

=?iso-8859-1?q?fo=F2o?=

There are two encodings -- b and q.  The b (base64) is already in C
(was I the one that put it there?  Hm.), but the q isn't
(quoted-printable), so I'd propose two new C functions:
`quoted-printable-decode-string' and `rfc2047-decode-string'.

I can implement them and do some benchmarking?

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen