Re: Google modules integration

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Google modules integration
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:42:53 -0400

    But to do the things correctly, that would mean the merge of the
    `google-maps.el' and `google-weather.el' modules into Emacs core
    packages. We do not want Org to rely on external sources and would like
    to have this in the core functionalities of Org mode.

I see no reason not to do this.  We have nothing against Google Maps
and Google Weather as services, so there's no reason we shouldn't
provide free software to access them.  And no reason it shouldn't
be in or associated with Emacs.

We reject packages whose functionality is support for proprietary
programs.  However, a service is not a program.  The issues about a
service are totally different.  For instance, we disapprove of SaaS
(see gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html).  But
these services are not SaaS.  As far as I know, they just provide
information.

We should recommend that people not give Google Maps specific
addresses.

Can these programs work via TOR?

Open Street Map is a good thing, and we should encourage people
to use that by preference.