Re: Emacs core TLS support

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs core TLS support
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:40:11 -0500

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:13:57 +0200 Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <address@hidden>
wrote:

NM> Use/check the gnutls-http-serv script in doc/credentials. It sets up a
NM> server with a certificate, ready for testing. If the server doesn't
NM> have a certificate it wouldn't be able to fully operate.

Thanks.  I get a bad TLS packet now, so investigating...

NM> Maybe a time limit would be more reasonable, but it depends on the
NM> context. Why would you use non-blocking IO in that case?

We want to avoid locking up Emacs, which is single-threaded.  So I kept
the handshake cycle at the ELisp level, which is much harder to lock up
(the user can abort a slow operation with `C-g').

Maybe we can use a `timeout' variable the user can set per process.  We
can assume they know if a server is slow or not.  Doing it by retry
count is almost definitely wrong.

Ted