Re: Is bzr+ssh's speed satisfactory?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is bzr+ssh's speed satisfactory?
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:49:17 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 00:59:53 -0400
>
> bzr was slow on savannah due to the use of sftp.
> Do people find bzr satisfactory now?

It is significantly faster, especially with frequent updates.  Where
previously I had to wait up to 5-6 minutes for an update of 3-4 days
worth of development, now it's down to 1-2 minutes or so, depending on
the amount of files that were modified.  Where previously it took 2
minutes to update a few files that were modified during several hours
since the last update, it now takes 25 seconds.  Previously it would
take about 40 seconds to get the "tree is up to date" result; now it
takes 10 to 15.

This is with a 3.5Mbps link, with other jobs running on the same
machine and using the link simultaneously.

I don't remember the exact timings of CVS, but I think the numbers are
comparable, perhaps even slightly faster.