Re: [Orgmode] Difference between org-footnote.el and footnote.el

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Difference between org-footnote.el and footnote.el
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 19:30:14 +0200

Am 21.10.2010 17:05, schrieb Nick Dokos:
Tassilo Horn<address@hidden>  wrote:

BTW suggest to replace the common footnote by the org's footnotes, remove the
prefix then, leave some aliases in org-mode for backward-compatibility.

Well, I don't have a strong opinion on that.  But currently
org-footnote.el is not very good when writing mails, because it places
footnotes at the end of a buffer.  If there's a signature, then
footnotes are in that and likely to be removed by people replying to
your mail.

How does footnote.el find the signature? I assumed before that
signatures are free-form and therefore unfindable algorithmically, but
that seems to be a mistake on my part. If that's the case, the
mechanism can be grafted into org-footnote.el, perhaps with an expanded
meaning of org-footnote-placement: in addition to nil or a string, it
can be a symbol, say 'before-signature, and that can be set in an appropriate
mail composition hook.

Nick

Hi,

there is no stringent relation between footnote.el and mail.
It's misplaced IMHO, mentioned that years ago BTW, it belongs into text-modes directory.

Keeping things easy, it seems preferable to have a working common footnote first and reflect the use in mails resp. signature issue afterwards.

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/python-mode-components
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/