Re: Emacs daemon doesn't terminate on SIGTERM any more

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Emacs daemon doesn't terminate on SIGTERM any more
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 07:42:46 +0200

Chong Yidong skrev 2010-10-24 18.06:
Jan Djärv<address@hidden>  writes:

This was done so that kill-emacs-hook is run.  For example, desktop.el
will then save its desktop when logging out from Gnome/KDE.

What Emacs needs is some sort of notion of when user interaction is
not OK. For SIGTERM it is almost never ok, as it might be the window
manager/system/whatever that is shutting down.  Even desktop.el will
try to ask questions sometimes (i.e. desktop-save is set but there is
no desktop file yet), which is annoying.  Maybe introduce some
interaction-ok-p predicate?

How about it, in response to a kill signal, we do

   noninteractive = 1;

before calling Fkill_emacs?

That would be fine as long as code has something to look for. We would have to go through those that out themselves into kill-emacs-hook and modify them, perhaps starting with server.el and desktop.el first.

        Jan D.