Re: Async DNS lookups

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Async DNS lookups
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 12:47:36 -0600

>>>>> "Lars" == Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

Lars> This is meant to be used to provide non-blocking domain lookups for
Lars> things that are asynchronous.  Having the Lisp code wait for this async
Lars> lookup to finish would be, er, not helpful.  :-)

I guess there are 2 cases.

One is make-network-process with :nowait t.
In that case it seems to me that the work could be done entirely in C
and failures reported to lisp via the sentinel function.

The other is a blocking open.  In this case, Emacs is already "blocking"
in the sense that users can't do anything but wait.  However, currently
users also can't C-g out of it, and other I/O is blocked waiting for
name resolution.

I think my proposed approach could solve both these scenarios.

If there's a reason to want async resolution but nothing else, then
yeah, you'd need something more complicated.

Tom