Re: rainbow-mode

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: rainbow-mode
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:56:55 -0500

> So it was rejected because you didn't think it was generally useful
> enough, basically?

"Rejected" is obviously the wrong word; as Stefan says, all things being
equal, it is preferable to put new non-infrastructure packages into
elpa.gnu.org.

> That's a judgement call, of course, but I think it sounds quite useful.
> If you're fiddling with colours in CSS files, for instance, it would
> speed up the editing/reload process -- at least the way I do it, which
> is "er, this should be a bluish colour, so I'll try #404090", *save*,
> *reload*, "no, darker", etc.
>
> Just seeing what the colour would be at once would be really neat.

You could use the same argument for including all the other packages in
elpa.gnu.org in the tarball.

By the way, if there is real demand for a proper color selection tool,
it ought to be trivial to write an Elisp binding for the GTK color
selector.