Re: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 13:40:22 -0600

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:24:15 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

SM> Regarding moving stuff from ELPA into Emacs, there's also the idea that
SM> some packages could be moved out of Emacs into ELPA, but come bundled
SM> into the Emacs release tarball.  Gnus and Org would seem like good
SM> candidates for that, although I'm still not sure whether that's
SM> a good idea.

IMO we should enable and supply a file:// repository with a new Emacs
release and with every trunk build (as part of `make install').  That
repository can be augmented by elpa.gnu.org, but if there's no network
connection to it users will at least be able to install the packages in
the latest Emacs checkout and hack on them.

In fact the repository can be generated at install time by the same
scripts and Makefiles that will generate the elpa.gnu.org package
repositories.

Ted