Re: improve rmail's MIME handling

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: improve rmail's MIME handling
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:41:42 -0500

> Why is this a good idea, especially on the Emacs 23 branch, in the
> middle of a pretest?

Nowadays, a mail reader which doesn't handle MIME out of the box counts
as broken for me.

> Previously, Rmail would never do anything with attachments without my
> say-so, and thus was one of the safest MUAs on Earth.  Why change
> that now?

Because it was felt to be long overdue.

> Of course, if other Rmail users think we should make it t by default,
> I can always customize it back, so if I'm the only one who cares,
> let's leave it at t.

While I think handling MIME out of the box is indispensable, I also
think it should be easy to view the raw message easily, so I hope
there's a command that lets you see the raw message, turning off all
MIME processing.  FWIW, I couldn't find such a command in Gnus :-(.

        Stefan