RE: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102688: Minor clean up to silence somegcc warn

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r102688: Minor clean up to silence somegcc warnings.
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 07:31:27 -0800

> > In any case, the way forward is to stop using ChangeLog files.
>
> I still find the ChangeLog rather useful.  Occasional extra
> verbiage in the bzr diffs and an extra minute's editing work
> when merging branches is not a large price to pay.

And Emacs users often want to or sometimes need to understand the source code,
and sometimes across versions.  And users who write Elisp code sometimes want to
understand development changes within a given release cycle.

Users deserve the source code, including its comments (which often reflect on
implementation or design). Likewise its change logs (ditto).  Users should not
need to access BZR or any other v-c interface to get access to the change-log
info.  Delivering it as part of Emacs helps users.  Beyond delivering it with
Emacs, making it available via http also helps - as in
http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git/tree/HEAD:/lisp (or
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/emacs/trunk/files/head%3A/lisp/, which
doesn't work as well).

Change-log info is meta-info about the code and its behavior, just like comments
and doc and NEWS are.  Please keep it accessible to users locally, as part of
their Emacs installation/delivery.