syncing Emacs from sources maintained elsewhere

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: syncing Emacs from sources maintained elsewhere
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:50:01 -0800

To fix some porting problems I'd like to sync some files in the Emacs
trunk from sources maintained elsewhere (e.g., getopt.c, mktime.c).
I used to do this sort of thing by hand, but nowadays it's typically
done automatically by syncing from gnulib.  I've been working with
RMS, Bruno Haible, and Jim Meyering to automate this process for
Emacs's special requirements.  After some iterations we have come up
with a process that seems to work, and RMS suggested that I mention
the topic here.

Four patches are attached.  Here's a brief description of each.

   01-automate-sync-from-gnulib.diff creates the gnulib infrastructure
   without doing anything with it, so Emacs itself is unaffected.
   This part is reused by the later patches.  The patch is 446 lines.

   03-ftoastr-module.diff adds the ftoastr module (107 lines).  This
   fixes a minor off-by-one bug in printing floating point values on
   hosts that do not use IEEE floating point.

   05-mktime-module.diff adds the mktime module (136 lines).  This
   brings mktime.c up-to-date, fixing some bugs with large time stamps
   on 64-bit hosts.

   09-getopt-gnu-module.diff adds the getopt-gnu module (175 lines).
   This brings getopt.c up-to-date, fixing some minor porting issues.

More gnulib modules can be added later, but I thought I'd start with
these three for now, to give people an idea for what's involved once
the infrastructure is there.  Most of patches 03-, 05-, and 09-
consist of ChangeLog entries and removing no-longer-needed lines.

Accompanying these patches are other patches resulting from
automatically regenerating all the files in question, or to remove
no-longer-needed files, or to simplify code in minor ways.  I can
email all this stuff too, if people are interested, although it's
fairly mechanical and boring.

Comments are welcome.