Re: syncing Emacs from sources maintained elsewhere

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: syncing Emacs from sources maintained elsewhere
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 14:39:45 +0200

> Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:13:22 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> CC: Andy Moreton <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> * Look for new symbols in config.in that need to be configured
>   manually.  Most of the new symbols can be left alone
>   (e.g., AA_APPLE_UNIVERSAL_BUILD, GNULIB_TEST_TIME_R,
>   HAVE_RAW_DECL_ENDUSERSHELL), but if Microsoft supplies
>   a Posix-like interface I expect you'll need to define that
>   (HAVE_DECL_GETENV, say? sorry, I'm no expert).

It's hard to say what to do with some of these new symbols.  Could
you please clarify by answering the questions below?  I cannot advance
with fixing the Windows build until I understand what to do with them.

 . What is the semantics of the GNULIB_TEST_* macros?  The comments
   say "Define to 1 when the gnulib module FOO should be tested.", but
   what does it mean "should be tested"? tested by whom and at what
   time?

 . Why is NO_MINUS_C_MINUS_O needed?  Which compilation uses this
   macro?

 . Why are PACKAGE and VERSION needed, and where are they used?

TIA