Re: Remove S_IFLNK

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Remove S_IFLNK
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 14:36:19 -0800

On 02/26/2011 10:01 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> they are not important enough to justify such heavyweight changes

The changes are not heavyweight.  In Emacs proper, the latest
proposal deletes 26 and inserts 9 lines, and I could easily reduce
that "9" to a "3" if you hadn't asked to retain a specially-worded
diagnostic for ENOSYS failure.

It's true that the change imports more stuff from gnulib, but
that's OK too.  It's normal, and expected, and is good software
engineering practice, to move the porting complexity out of Emacs
proper and into the porting code.

> When you decide to merge it, please give me a day or two to add
> the stub functions for Windows and DOS, so that when you commit,
> these two ports will still build.

OK, I'll wait a couple of days before merging it.