Re: Change in rmail-start-mail

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Change in rmail-start-mail
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 15:57:30 -0500

> Why was this change made?

So that the text displayed while you edit the buffer is correct rather
than being some "weird encoding".

> What was the problem it was supposed to solve?

I guess the above.

> It is quite clear that the assumption was that some other code will
> RFC 2047 encode these headers before the message is sent, but what
> code is supposed to do that?

The message sending function needs to do that in any case since
non-ascii chars may have been added manually anyway.

> I use sendmail-user-agent and smtpmail-send-it, and these do not
> encode those headers.

Looks like they have a problem.

> Should the decoding introduced with the above revision be conditioned
> on some specific MUA?

Maybe until the above functions are either fixed or declared obsolete,
we could maybe try and add a hack to leave the encoded text in the
edition buffer, but that sounds like pretty sub-standard behavior.

        Stefan