c mode still slow?

From: Dave Milter
Subject: c mode still slow?
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 15:40:51 +0300

Hi, Alan and all.

Year or two ago I wrote email about emacs usage for C/C++ coding, how
it is painfully slow.

Any progress since then?

At now I have GNU Emacs 23.3.1 on Linux.

I open two files: one with defines, and another with functions, and
get such results:

font-lock-fontify-region                                   4
41.44931      10.3623275
font-lock-default-fontify-region                           4
41.44925      10.3623125
font-lock-fontify-keywords-region                          4
41.436062     10.3590155
font-lock-fontify-syntactically-region                     4
0.0126299999  0.0031574999
font-lock-extend-region-wholelines                         4
0.0003000000  7.500...e-05
font-lock-mode                                             5
8.8e-05       1.76e-05
font-lock-unfontify-region                                 4
6.3e-05       1.575e-05
font-lock-change-mode                                      2
5.7e-05       2.85e-05
font-lock-default-function                                 5
2.800...e-05  5.600...e-06
font-lock-default-unfontify-region                         4
1.399...e-05  3.499...e-06
font-lock-extend-region-multiline                          4
1.1e-05       2.75e-06
font-lock-set-defaults                                     4
9e-06         2.25e-06

font-lock-fontify-region                                   129
38.551784999  0.2988510465
font-lock-default-fontify-region                           129
38.549996     0.2988371782
font-lock-fontify-keywords-region                          129
38.367797999  0.2974247906
font-lock-fontify-syntactically-region                     129
0.174543      0.0013530465
font-lock-unfontify-region                                 129
0.0017679999  1.370...e-05
font-lock-default-unfontify-region                         129
0.0004499999  3.488...e-06
font-lock-set-defaults                                     129
0.0003079999  2.387...e-06
font-lock-extend-region-wholelines                         129
0.0002979999  2.310...e-06
font-lock-extend-region-multiline                          129
0.0002949999  2.286...e-06
font-lock-mode                                             1
1.9e-05       1.9e-05
font-lock-default-function                                 1
5e-06         5e-06

As you can see it take ages to show me content, and it still painfully
to work with such slow editor.

But of course without highlighting types and function names work is
also painful.

I wonder, may it is possible to process code into background, to allow
user work without any delay?