Re: python.el cleanup

From: Christoph Scholtes
Subject: Re: python.el cleanup
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 20:58:08 -0600

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Could you just clarify why they're considered obsolete (e.g. what would
> the user use instead)?

`python-shell' is not needed since Dave's mode already had
'run-python' to invoke the python interpreter. It offers no advantages
over run-python as far as I can tell except being able to toggle
between a Python and a Jython shell (see below for comments on that).

`python-comint-filter-function' is only called from `python-shell'.

`python-file-queue' is never populated anywhere, only read from
`python-comint filter-function'.

`python-default-interpreter' is only used by `python-shell' and not,
as advertised in its documentation, on first visiting a Python mode
buffer.

`python-python-command-args' and `python-jython-command-args' are only
used in the `python-toggle-shell' function.

`python-which-shell', `python-which-args' and `python-which-bufname'
are used for toggling between the Python and Jython shell.

Finally, `python-toggle-shell'. I think, that we should provide a better
solution for this and therefore remove the current implementation. This
code came from python-mode.el, if I traced that back right.

Python interpreter selection should be universal and not only support Jython
and CPython, but also IronPyton, PyPy etc. I would like to implement a
better solution for this as soon as Fabian's changes are installed. I am
using IronPython quite a bit and it would be nice to be able to switch
flexibly between different interpreters.

Christoph