Re: Fixing Windows and DOS command line argument quoting

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fixing Windows and DOS command line argument quoting
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:41:47 +0300

> Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 19:09:31 -0700
> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
>
> As I explain in [1], many Windows programs get command line argument
> quoting wrong.  Emacs is one of these programs.  The attached patch
> resolves the issue, and if there are no objections, I'll apply it to
> both the Emacs 23 branch and the trunk in the next few days.

Thanks.  I have 2 requests and a question.  The requests are:

 . Please leave the `ms-dos' quoting as it was before.  (Your research
   and blog are not valid for the MS-DOS, a.k.a. DJGPP, build of
   Emacs, which uses its own private way of passing and decoding
   command lines, bypassing MS runtime and OS facilities.  The
   problems you mention in your blog do not exist in the MS-DOS
   build.)  Please make the new quoting method effective for the
   `windows-nt' case alone.

 . Please install this only on the trunk.  The emacs-23 branch should
   not be destabilized by such experiments at this time.

My question is this: will cmdproxy need any changes to support this
new kind of quoting, or does it already have everything that it needs?

Thanks again for working on this.